• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Turbo Leaking Oil on S1AD Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulumike

PA-32R-301T, BE36
Reaction score
After some maintenance I finally got the bird back together, test flight went nicely, but afterwards I had about 1/2 oz of oil drain out of the turbo thru the induction plumbing coming out of the compressor side of the turbo. This happened after engine shut down. Prior maintenance included replacing the oil seal in the scavenger pump. Thus my A&P and I have removed the scavenger pump again and verified the pump works properly, and there is no blockage in the oil return line to the pump. We also removed the check valve on the oil line entering the turbo, it seems to work properly as well. Cylinder compressions are good and the breather line is clear. I read that oil leaking from turbos is rarely the turbo. I was thinking the check valve was not closing after shut down and the oil in the line was leaking past the turb oil seal and into the induction system. Any thoughts or experiences out there as to trouble shooting? Im thinking the turbo may have to be replaced. Also the scavenger pump has a couple drops of oil seepage on its outer casing. This happens statically, I can clean the pump and come back a day later and there are 2-3 drops of oil on the bottom side of the pump. Of interest is the pump is in two halves that do not have a gasket between them, or at least no gasket shown in the scavenger pump assembly drawing. Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back