• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Turbo Aztec Speeds, Flows, CHT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIFlyer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to buy an Aztec and am on the fence on NA vs Turbo (and the two or three variants of turbo)

Who I am:
Based in Seattle
150 hr PP
starting IR in October, would like to train in my own plane, but no rush to buy as I can start training in the club 172 and transition if I find the right one

Missions:
Replace sub 700nm airline travel (3 family of four trips between 300-600nm each way)
replace 6 100nm each way trips to see family
replace 2 just me and the wife trips of 300nm each way per year
generally fly everywhere we can
some cross the cascades, some stay on the west side of the mountains

Requirements
IR capable, though most will be training and the punching through a layer
De-ice capable

would like something that's been flying regularly

What I don't know is if I should look for, insist on or avoid turbo. I know it will add maintenance, but I don't know what it does for speed and fuel flow.

what are folks seeing for turbo speed, fuel burn and at what CHT and altitude

since much of our flying is the 100-150nm each way, it doesn't make sense to do a huge climb to get a turbo efficient, but if turbo can be pulled back, leaned out and run efficiently at lower altitudes, then it's worth considering

I know you can lean an NA Aztec out to 20-21 GPH at 160kts with low CHTs, but have no idea on the turbo

Latest posts

Back