• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trouble trying to value my plane - Vref not helping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSC

Reaction score
Now that I've finished up my PPL, I'm looking to my next step - an instrument rating. I've determined that my aircraft, while IFR certified and capable, lacks some in the IFR category (no IFR GPS, single GS, no autopilot). Combine that with my engine nearing 1900 hours SMOH, I'm scratching my head as to whether it's time for an upgrade this year or next. The opportunity to upgrade from my current 860 lb useful load and add a little space and speed is very attractive as well.

I tried doing a Vref value on it earlier, and found that much of my equipment isn't listed - though I think they have value (feel free to debate this point). I'm interested in the community's opinion on the value of my equipment and the overall aircraft.

Here's my aircraft set up:

1974 PA-28-151 Warrior
3600 +/- TT
1900 +/- SMOH (on overhauled original engine currently)
Dual Comms
Com 1: Narco 810
Com 2: Garmin SL 40
Dual Navs
Nav 1: Narco NAV-122 Glide Slope
Nav 2: KNS-80 DME/VOR

Extra stuff:
Garmin 396 with XM weather/radio would be included in sale. Not mounted, though have considered it. Currently suctioned to pilots window.
Zaon XRX PCAS tied to Garmin 396 with audio alerts.​

Overall appearance:
Exterior Paint 6-7. Looks great on ramp, but can tell where some paint touch ups have been done and color isn't spot on. Some minor paint scratching around the engine compartment. All windows are crystal clear. Wheel pants are attached and in good condition.​

Interior is an 8-9. New light brown leather interior installed in mid-2000s, still clean, no rips or tears. Carpet is good, though chocolate brown.​

Engine compartment is clean and orderly, no leaks. Vacuum pump recently replaced. I have had at least one oil analysis done each year for almost 10 years, all showing good results and being on or above par for engine age. Little to no oil usage.
When I used Vref, I didn't include any upgrades since none were exact matches to my equipment. It gave me an $18,825 base price. I've only owned it going on two years, so I think I have a decent perception of my local market. If I were to put it on the ramp today at my home airport I think I'd list it for $27,500. I see quite a few 140s being bought and sold for the $20-$25k range depending on time and equipment and I think I can better that.

Fellow aviators: your opinions please! Upgrade/not to upgrade? How do you think the individual equipment adds or detracts from the sale price? Is my suggested asking crazy, or about as expected?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back