• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trio Auto Pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished up the C182Q AP project. I ended up going with the TRIO and so far am pleased with the choice. One of the smoothest flying AP's I have, on par with BK, or Garmin, and better then the S-Tec or Century I have in some of my other planes.

I chose the TRIO over the TruTrak (now BK) primarily because of the pilot-gizmo interface, the TRIO has more buttons and in more intuitive. For example, to turn it on and off you flip the on/off switch. Install was about the same as any other AP I have done, about 40hrs, if I was to do another identical plane, probably 20-25.

The trick to getting it to fly properly is to follow the instructions regarding setting the various servo gains, etc. Noting difficult, took about an hour in the air. Helps to pick a smooth day so you can tell if it's AP or mother nature.

All the regular AP functions as well GPSS, V-Nav, altitude preselect, emergency 180 turn, and even envelope protection, all for less than 10K installed. If you are looking for a modern digital AP that will work without needing inputs from anything other than a GPS, the TRIO in my opinion is worth serious consideration.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back