• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Transmitting from a portable intercom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerso

Reaction score
I've purchased an Arrow with a no intercom. It has a Collins AMR-350 audio panel and some older Collins radios.

Is it possbile to use a portable push to talk switch and a portable intercom to be able to talk from the right seat? The owner of the airplane said it would work, but my local CFI says he's never seen it be possbile.

I did buy a PTT switch but the plug was too big for some reason and I sent it back, I'm waiting for a new one. In the meantime, we tried plugging in the portable intercom and then using only the PTT on the left yoke. However, it seemed like ATC could only hear the pilot plugged into the "Pilot" side on the intercom, not the "Co-Pilot" side? Is there some magic having the PTT plugged in between the headset mic and the intercom that makes this work, thus the reason they sell PTT switches?

I'm planning on getting new radios/audio panel, but it would be very useful for both pilots to be able to talk on the radios until that project can be done...

Latest posts

Back