• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Traffic Systems - ADS-B or TCAS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
Ok so I want to get onboard traffic and need some advice before going to an avionics shop. I have a plane w/ an 1 Aspen 1000 pro, an Aspen 500 mfd, xm weather (on aspens), 2 gns 430w, and a gtx 327 mode c transponder. I'd like to get traffic and was assuming ADSB would be the way to go BUT have my doubts about how well ADSB traffic will do considering most planes are not ADSB out compliant so I would be relaying on ground stations relaying traffic to me and my understanding is the lower you or other targets fly (pattern or on the ground) the higher the chances of not being picked up by radar and therefore won't be reported. Additionally you need line of sight so mountains can block traffic as well. This is supposedly where TCAS is supposedly better as your plane actively interrogates other transponders and does not rely on ground radar to identify traffic.

Are my concerns valid with ADSB? I guess I'd prefer to go the ADSB route as this would be taking care of traffic and the 2020 requirement but just not sure how well traffic works via ADSB? If I should consider this route vs TCAS what's the best method given my existing equipment? Would I be better off with one of the aspen compatible solutions that can provide ADSB 978 in and out solutions or would I be better off upgrading to a gtx330es and a ADSB in box?

Any thoughts/experiences that can shed some light here?

Latest posts

Back