• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Tips for Snow Take Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stran

Reaction score
Anyone know much much snow is safe for a Cherokee to take off from? Would like to depart from S18 tomorrow. Looks like there's about an inch of snow accumulation. Have wheel pants. If I'm willing to crawl around on the snow for 20 mins, I can take the wheel pants off the mains, but not the nose.

An inch of snow doesn't seem like much difference than short grass. I know hitting a snowbank with wheel pants risks breaking the fiberglass.

Anyone have experience running up the engine as a way to blow snow off the plane? Will turn off the plane and brush off the rest prior to take off.

Alternatively, I wonder if I can use a car to compress the snow. As long as pressure of contact patch of car tire is greater than airplane tire, should work ok for take off. Car weighs +3,000 lbs on 4 tires. Airplane weighs around 1,800 lbs on 3 tires, though airplane tire have smaller contact patch. Maybe I can air down the tires.

Latest posts

Back