• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Tip tank and Main tank usage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingguy

Reaction score
I have bought and been flying '68 235 since May with inboard and tip tanks. I was trained in a 180 with inboard tanks only. My CFI that has checked me out on the 235 insisted that land and take off on main (inboard) tanks. The issue is the POH says to exhaust the main tanks and use the tip tanks alternating every 30 min for lateral trim. It also says to fill the tip tanks and regulate the load by varying the amount in the main tanks. I have been doing the opposite. Filling only the main tanks and typically flying with empty tip tanks unless I go a long distance. This has not seemed to bother me landing in crosswind or straight and level and I don't want to condradict my CFI but am I reading 1968 info that has since been updated. How do others manage their fuel tanks? I'm confused!!

Latest posts

Back