• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

TIO-540-AH1A (saratoga II TC) massive difference in overhaul quotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyski

Reaction score
Wondering if I can simply start a discussion regarding overhaul of the TIO-540. This specifically is regarding the widely variable cost quotes I am receiving. My current engine has 2300 hours, is original (1999) and runs well. I have read and understand Mike Bush's articles regarding overhauls but don't want to discuss that, more would like to discuss member's thoughts on these shops and what to look out for as this is my first overhaul I will be going through.

All these quotes were within the last 3 weeks but at least 2 weeks ago, I never heard back from Powermaster, Central Cylinder Service, Pinnacle, JB Aircraft said unable to quote d/t parts availability, Zephyr, Firewall Forward, and just heard back from LyCon yesterday but did not yet receive quote.

Factory LycomingPennyan AeroSignatureWestern SkywaysTriad aviationAirMarkAero RecipVictor
Quoted cost89,50080,39445,90074,78464,90046,00073,90096,032-113,047
Sales Tax?NoNo
Down Payment050%50%20k50%
Shipping03500plus0
Warranty2 yr/500 + 26 mos6 mos + 50 mos500 hrs/1yr + TBO2 yrs - 10 yrs + TBO
Quote DateSept 2021Sept 2021September 2021September 2021Sept 2021Sept 2021Sept 2021
IncludesSelf Cost
Turbochargeryesyesyesyesyesyesyes
Wastegateyesplus 1,395yesnoyesyes
Controlleryesplus 1395yesyesnoyesyes
Exhaustyes less tail pipeyesyesNo
Starteryesplus 663yesyesyesyes
Fuel Injection Systemyesyesyesyesyesyes
Fuel pumpyesyesyesyes
Spark Plugsyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
Ignition Harnessyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
Engine hosesyesyesno
New Pistonsyesyesyesyesoverhauledyesoverhauled
Magnetosyesyesyesyesyesyes
Camshaft + Liftersyes, newyes, newYes Newyesno if not serviceable
Connecting Rodsyesyesyesno if not serviceable
Oil Coolerspower flushnonoNo
Alternatorplus 625NoyesNo
Oil pumpyes
Notesquoting spring/summer for this modelPossible issue getting cylindersCustomer responsible for repairs or replacement of crankcase + crankshaft, internal gears, connecting rods, camshaft

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back