• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Time for Overhauling my TIO-540-S1AD (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any current thoughts, lessons learned, advice on places to seek out or avoid? I've read through the last few years of forum threads on the subject and have learned a lot.

My 1981 Saratoga's TIO-540-S1AD was overhauled in 2001 by G&N Aircraft (Griffith, IN) at 1803 on the tach, now it's at 3635 in 2023. No other major engine work since then according to complete log books. I have put 280 hours flight time over last two years since I bought it in May 2021.

Yesterday we confirmed one cylinder has a valve leak that has steadily worsened over last six months despite our best rescue efforts and now isn't holding compression, and another one has just started showing two leak areas. My mechanic (an FAA engine inspector and a family member with my best interests at heart) thinks from his overall assessment of the engine condition (e.g. a few small leaks in other spots) I'm probably seeing the cumulative results of worn valve guides that will show up in other cylinders soon too. He recommends investigating a full overhaul at this point rather than a top overhaul, given the various tradeoffs and how much I fly the airplane. I'm seeking advice on overhaul/rebuild shops, as well as other ways my mechanic and I might think about this situation. Photos of the "bad" valve in #3 with the big spot and the "uh oh" in #6 with two spots are attached, in case that helps.

I think I can and should reuse my new turbo and scavenge pump, new governor, new alternator, and new injectors from the past two years. I am considering doing the AC belt change (Wide alternator belt conversion kit) when all of this is underway. Any other things to do while the engine is off?

Attachments

• June 3 Cylinder 3.PNG
    June 3 Cylinder 3.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • June 3 Cylinder 6.PNG
    June 3 Cylinder 6.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back