• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thoughts On Selling A Cherokee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviator2us

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, most of us who fly as a hobby will at some point buy and cherish a used aircraft. When the dark day comes to sell and we have to separate ourselves from our "baby" we have to face the "sale" and reality of price setting.

Obviously the value the owner places on the aircraft is usually greater than what the purchaser wants to pay. I recently sold my 1968 Cherokee 140. During my 5 year stewardship I had the engine upgraded to 160 hp with new jugs and pistons etc, the panel was upgraded to full Ifr with a garmin 430 wass, narco 12 D+ secondary Nav Comm, a new garmin audio panel and a new garmin modes s transponder with TIS. I had backup vacuum pump installed, heated pitot, OAT, new wing and stbilator tips and vortedx generators on the wing root. The paint and interior was an honest 9 including new 3 point harness belts and one piece hat rack to finish the interior. The point I am making is that this was a plane that a lot went into... including purhase price I had about 75k in it. Of course I realized that I would never get that much out and rationalized that I had to discount my flying time in it. I sold it for 52k with 400 hours on SMOH and a total airframe time of 2700 hours... oh yeah I forgot to mention I enrolled the plane in the adlog system and had complete and original logs. So whats the point... the purchaser had the nerve to come back to me 9 months later and tell me he should have only paid 40k for the plane. I gladly told him I would sell it to him again for 40k if he would let me have it back for 20.... Just wanted to let the steam off......

Oh by the way I'm in a 1973 180 Challenger and loving it!

Latest posts

Back