• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thinking outside the box on Equippage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guzziguy

Reaction score
All:
I am slowly upgrading my Arrow to bring it into the modern era. I've done all sorts of improvements and repairs that the last owner stupidly deferred. I'm also improving the interior and have installed a new glare shield, windows, and am now in the home stretch on updating the interior. Pics coming soon!

Next on my list is equipping an in-panel IFR GPS. (I opted for the interior upgrade first because my backside just couldn't handle 50 year old foam any more. And to be honest, while the airplane is likely more airworthy than its been in 20 years, the ratty interior never inspired confidence from pax)

Anyway.
My current set up is two navcoms with two VORs and one with a GS. (ADS-B in/out via upgraded stratus ESG)

It seems to me that there is a bias or ASSUMPTION that an aircraft must have two radios, with at least one being a NAVCOM to run the VOR/GS. I also am guessing that this assumption is a holdover from the 'good old days' of radio navigation and steely eyed pilots.

I am questioning the continued persistence and need for this assumption and asking for input.

Let me explain:
Because reliance on GPS navigation is largely firmly established, plainly speaking, there should be no need for a VOR head. And, with the removal of the VOR, so goes the NAVCOM that drives it. Now you're down to the VOR/GS, its NAVCOM and the GPS/COM (assuming it comes with one) you've been using to navigate and communicate the whole time anyway.

But don't forget, the GPS can/will drive that GS (assuming the correct model matching). This means you can lose that last NAVCOM.

My point here is that, assuming no back up nav source (such as a VOR run off an old school NAVCOM), you conceivable reduce your avionics stack to a single GPS/COM box, remove the old NAVCOMs (AND ANTENNAE!). Playing around on Pacific Coast Avionics' website, I can see putting in a GNX375 (ADSB in/out & WAAS GPS) and a GTR225 (COM ONLY) radio.

Is this correct? Am I off base?

Some caveats:
I am not necessarily in favor of operating w/o a back up nav or com ability. I'd love to have one NAVCOM with one VOR and a DME to have old-school capability for when the Chinese use their ASATs to take out our GPS constellation. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with keeping a handheld for similar reasons.
My only point here is that, as avionics prices and capabilities come down and combine...I see a potential for having a very 'streamlined' panel.

Thoughts?

Tks
Rob

Latest posts

Back