• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thinking about stepping up to an Aztec

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulro

Reaction score
I have about 600 hours on my PA-32-300, which I love dearly, but I am starting to suffer the dreaded Twin Engine Itch. This is driven by two things. First, life changes that will free me to do more flying both to the north (Vermont) and the south (southern Florida/the Caribbean). I'm based in the SE USA so I don't need turbos, but over water or rocks the second engine would be nice to have. Second, I want to build multi time with the eventual goal of being able to get a full-time flying job, of whatever kind, when the last kid has gone off to college and I can take the pay cut.

60% of my trips will be me + spouse; total pax weight under 400lbs, plus baggage and fuel. Another 20% will be trips with kids/friends/other family, with up to 6 pax totaling up to 900lb or so. 10% will be trips to triathlons (me + 1-2 other athletes and 1-2 racing bikes plus gear). The other 10% will be random. Average stage length 400nm. Longest trips I will routinely take will be DCU-BTV a few times a year and DCU to Florida (anywhere between Pensacola and FLL, depending on where we buy) monthly, if not more frequently.

Here's what I've been considering:
  1. Cessna 310: ruled out due to high ongoing maintenance costs.
  2. Cessna 337: gets safety points for good OEI behavior, but loses huge points for maintenance costs. NA models aren't too bad but add pressurization or turbocharging and watch the cash burn.
  3. Baron: higher acquisition cost, what appears to be relatively high parts and mx costs.
  4. Twin Comanche: love the look and speed/fuel economy, but they're too small and don't have enough useful load. From what I read here, parts availability may be a concern.
  5. Aerostar: sounds like a great way for me to die, broke, sooner than I would otherwise prefer.
  6. Seneca: more expensive to purchase, maintain, and operate than the Aztec or Twin Comanche, but most overall like a PA-32 with an extra engine in terms of interior + flying characteristics.
  7. Aztec: seemingly the ideal fit for what I think my mission and pocketbook require.
So, what am I missing in the foregoing?

Latest posts

Back