• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The Summer Trip Part 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebRuss

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed posting!

Day 8

Today was relaxation day. We are staying at a comfortable Airbnb home in St. Paul suburbs. We have the entire house, and it is in walking distance to a grocery store. We went to the farmer co-op store this morning to purchase food for breakfasts and dinners through Saturday morning plus lunch for today. Such good quality food. All locally sourced. Very cool.
mississippi-market-st-paul.jpg

After lunch, we walked to a brewery. What a cool place. You "brew-your-own" using their equipment. They had several recipes from which to choose.
We could also buy beer that they brewed already.
vine-park-brewing-st-paul.jpg

Then we hung out at the house for the rest of the day. We accomplished our goal for a relaxing day.

Day 9
Today was more exploring. My wife really wanted to see Mall of America. So we booked an Uber car and made our way to the mall. This place is huge! Four floors of shopping and eating, plus an amusement park and an aquarium. We made it most of the way around the first three floors before I needed a break.
mall-of-america-selfie.jpg

Day 10
Today was a day to troubleshoot the transponder. I did not know it yet, but the 40+ year old unit was on it's last legs. A fellow Comanche driver, Hans, picked me up at out BnB and took me down to the airport. We pulled the unit and gave it a quick cleaning. I took it to WipAir, located there on the field, but alas pretty much everyone had left for Oshkosh and no one was left to do any diagnostics.
narco-at-150_front_.jpg

Day 11
Travel day from St. Paul Minnesota to New Holstein, WI. Visiting with our friends Cindy, Michael, and their family.

The departure from St. Paul was a bit of a challenge. We used almost the entire runway and then wobbled a bit at about two hundred feet as we caught some turbulence from the trees. It scared me just a bit, but all good.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5o04EcshTQ[/ame]

The flight over to New Holstein was uneventful. Easy route.
ksgs-to-8d1.png

We flew just north of Oshkosh trying to stay well clear of all the activity. I tuned into the tower frequency and those controllers were in rapid-fire mode barking out landing instructions as a stream of planes came in.
flying-by-oshkosh.jpg

Flying past Oshkosh is really a pretty route. There is a big lake just east of the Whitman airport and our descent path took us right over it as we lined up for landing in New Holstien.
8D1.gif

Unknown to me, but I should have remembered, the Piper Cub association has their camping event the same time as Oshkosh. So 8D1 was very busy with lots of NORDO (No Radio) air traffic. The biggest surprise was when I landed on the east-west grass runway 4.

Seems the team was out there just past the north-south runway 14/32 setting up for the STOL competition. My Comanche cannot land in as little space as a Cub so I needed most of the runway. The cubs were able to stop before reaching the intersection with the north-south runway. I was moving a bit faster and could not stop that quickly. Fortunately I saw them in time and eased off to the side of the runway and rolled past them. No NOTAMS nothing about people and equipment in the runway. Ugh.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4DlCIxc9M[/ame]

We stayed here a few days and got a great experience of small town life. We even got to attend a local parade and sample lots of cheese. So much cheese.

More to come! Say tuned!

Latest posts

Back