• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The StrutWipe Tommy just refuses to come out of annual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The aircraft went into annual in April. When I did the pre-buy, I knew he would need a new prop. I also knew that the 500 mag inspection was way over due but I figured everything else would be nickle and dime stuff. Well, I have learned that working on aircraft and owning an aircraft are two totally different subjects that do not mix very well together. I'm the kind of guy that appreciates everything in a nice bag all tied up. So what I am learning is the simplest thing can be very expensive to have in a nice little tied up bag. As an example, hardware. This aircraft had loads of rusted this and that. I went ahead and pre-order band new nuts, screw, washers, bolts and such. Well, come to find out that one of the exhaust baffles deteriorated and require replacement. Well, not a big deal just order a new one, $400. Neither risers could be reworked due to exhaust corrosion/wear so both risers require replacement. Another $400. Damn, now I have to buy 5/16 washers and star washer, with new nuts of course. More $$$$. Every time I take something apart to inspect, two or three things need fixing or replacing. With nearly 9K into this annual, I am still about three months out from finishing this thing up to get it back into airworthy condition just to get back on the PPL lesson plan.

So where am I going with this? About seven months ago I asked for an estimate on cost of aircraft ownership. Some laughed and made the statement it cost what it cost. At the time I thought, "How obtuse". I will admit when I am wrong, so here it is; "It cost what it cost". The Tomahawk is a relatively inexpensive compared to some of its bigger brothers and sisters. But man, I am letting this thing eat me out of house and home. Not saying that keeper records or cost into consideration is bad but if you like nicely tied up bags, it cost!
plane 128.JPG

Latest posts

Back