• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The Question Asked 1,000 Times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosenmaverick

Reaction score
I’m in the market for wing tips for a 1964 Cherokee B straight wing. I’ve read countless forum exchanges but nobody sums up the tradeoff options. I will lay out my understanding in the following comparison and would like anyone’s comments/experience/feedback.

My “mission” is to purchase plain (no recognition lights) tips - which I know are not necessarily offered by everyone listed - so I am more concerned about fit, installation, build quality and aero-performance. I know speed gains will be minimal, I really like the expected climb, roll and (lowered) stall performance.

Tracy O’brien: Not much information in the forums, generally lowest cost.

Met-Co-Aire: High ratings on quality and performance, don’t like the “hole” possibly needed for the aileron bob-weight (mine are triangular). Generally second lowest purchase cost.

RMD/Knots-2-U: Generally good ratings, changed to “upswept” type, next level up in purchase cost.

LoPresti: Generally good ratings, only come with recog lights, generally highest price.

I know these are loaded questions, but which models would you rate better for low-speed performance, roll performance, climb rate, speed, etc. Any other installation pitfalls (I have heard about the need for metal stiffeners/shims that Piper sometimes uses, RMD)? Any difficulty incorporating existing nav/strobes? If someone’s recognition type tips were simply superior in most categories, I might be swayed to get the lights.

I apologize for bringing this topic up again, but it is truly difficult choosing.

Latest posts

Back