• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The Biggest Loser: 99 Pounds in One Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropFan

Reaction score
The mechanic who did the pre-buy inspection for the 1968 Cherokee "D" that I just purchased was (correctly) a little skeptical of the validity of the latest weight and balance that had been done in 2009 after all the old avionics were removed and a bunch of Garmin stuff was put in. The plane has had a lot of non-OEM stuff hung on it (speed mods, Pulselite, wet vacuum pump, air-oil separator, new-ish interior with leather seats, etc.), most of which was deemed to have a negligible effect by the installing mechanic. So, as of the day before the plane was weighed, I supposedly had a useful load of 974 pounds. Not great, but acceptable. Perhaps with a little care I could still carry four adults from time-to-time.

Well, the tale of the scale after re-weigh was 875 pounds useful load. OUCH! :eek: Now, it appears, I'm limited to two adults and a couple of Munchkins.

The moral of this story, is never, ever have your plane re-weighed.

Unless you like to deal with real numbers instead of fantasy.

Latest posts

Back