• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Testing waters

Reaction score
You got a beautiful plane. Congratulations.

I wonder if your wife is friends with mine 😆 that statement of killing sounded very familiar.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If your wife loves your plane more than she loves you, I think you have a keeper :)

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was looking a glasair, she put a stop to that 😁

I was involved with Glasairs for many years, starting in the late 1980s.

I'm referring to the 150 to 300 HP slick 2 place low wing airplanes. The following does not apply to the high wing, high utility airplanes that made their debut in the mid 1990s.

I advise you take a real objective look at the Glasair's safety record overall.

The president of Stoddard Hamilton, the maker of the Glasair kits, quite literally eventually left the company because so many people that he was selling kits to were getting killed in crashes of the Glasair aircraft that they completed and flew. He said he couldn't deal with any more deaths.

The statistics are grim.

I have a stack of Glasair newsletters nearly a foot tall that I can share with you if you are interested.

Each issue featured at least one, if not more, very unfortunate fatalities.

It's a plane that wouldn't come anywhere even close to passing FAA certification.

But 300 HP in a plane that's less than ⅔ the size of a Cherokee 140 is a real thrill to fly. But it'll bite you if you're not careful. And maybe even if you are careful.

kf6iat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Wife, Happy Life... Keep the plane and the Wife! that's a win / win all the way around.

alexcomanche180

Reaction score
I flew a glasair III flights like a Grumman a1a on steroids, I found if you keep them at right speeds are pretty good planes, we flown today and I can't really see me selling the Comanche after all the mula I dump on it, plus I have a extensive parts shelf for the old boy, but once in a while I get in barnstormer and start look at them again and again 😁

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I flew a glasair III flights like a Grumman a1a on steroids, I found if you keep them at right speeds are pretty good planes, we flown today and I can't really see me selling the Comanche after all the mula I dump on it, plus I have a extensive parts shelf for the old boy, but once in a while I get in barnstormer and start look at them again and again 😁
They are very easy on the eyes, so I can see why you go looking for them on Barnstormers!

I've heard the Glasair III described as a lightweight P-51.

A few builders experimented with turbine engines, and quickly learned the true meaning of left turning tendency due to torque and P factor.