• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Testing The Water PA28-140

LN2

Stealth Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade/get a little better gross. So I am giving some consideration to selling my well kept, well equipped 140.
Here is a basic list of things done:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS,sans-serif][FONT=Comic Sans MS,sans-serif]1971 PA28-140
AMR&D STC'd prop.
Challenger Air Filter.
PowerFlow short stack exhaust with ceramic tip. (Less than 100 hours old)
AirMotion overhauled carb with latest power curve. (2-3 years)
Steve's Gascolater
Overhauled magnetos. less that 70 hours
New ignition harness.
AMR&D vortex generators
MetCoAir wingtips.
Knots2U Wing root fairings
Aileron Gap seals top and bottom.
Flap seals bottom.
LED landing light and LED two color beacon
Nose wheel speed fairing.
Newer 8-ply tires.
All Struts rebuilt. MLG 2 years, NLG last year.
All AD's current and complied with.
ADS-B Out 2020 Compliant with Stratus ESG installed
Leather seats from a 235 with front headrests.
Okay. Now the total airframe time is about 3160. The engine has about 1100. The cylinder were all replaced with an entire Millennium package including cylinders, pistons, rings and i bought the Lycoming gold pins instead of the Superior ones. Annual last week. All Cylinders 76 and up. Oil useage: 1/2 quart ever 25 hours.
Standard instuments, with a Icom flip flop com and a Narco MK12 with VOR/Glideslope. Currently a King Mode C transponder.
And a cool custom paint scheme.
Interior is a 6/7 or so, paint is a 7/8.
Annual just finished 8/2016
Very cool custom paint.
Was originally an Air Conditioned 140, but most of it has been stripped to gain useful load.

Probably stuff I am missing but that is the majority of it. Never used as a trainer.
I will also give some serious consideration to trade for something that will carry a bit more, maybe an Arrow? Maybe a Mooney? Maybe a 180 or a 235?
As I mentioned, just testing the water. My plane is worth way more than the average 140 for sure.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Last edited:

sourdough44

Reaction score
If you have access you can plug in 'some' of the stats on the V-Ref' site, AOPA membership allows anyway. Then there are the somewhat comparables in a Trade-A-Plane and other sources. I say somewhat, because even planes just a few serial numbers apart can vary widely in value.

Then one has to factor in reality. As an owner, one just has to accept being 'upside down', for the most part, with investments to value.

I have most of what you mention in my Warrior that's for sale, and then some. I do have two fairly interested parties at the moment. There are still people buying airplanes anyway.

When callers tell me, 'I can get a Warrior for less than yours', I just wish them well in their search. A few $1000 saved on initial purchase price can be immiterial very shortly going forward.

Trade-A-Plane is one of the cheaper advertising outfits and should generate some activity. No matter where you advertise expect a few calls from brokers or auction sites. I'd rather be on the buying side than that of a seller.

LN2

Stealth Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the note. I know what the VRef is and I know what they sell for and I know what people want to pay. My plane is 100% mine and 100% paid for. I can surely keep it. If there is some buyer willing to look at getting something that is a bit better than a plane that has been put on the Tarmac its whole life, or is runout or has been neglected, than they can call me.. And as you already commented to, there is a lot of junk out there. I really love the little Cherokee, but if I want to take the entire family, something a bit bigger would help. But I am not really against keeping it. I just saw one sell with a bit less for 30K. I would be close at that. Either way I will not loose sleep or be heart-broken.. Again, Thanks for the note, and good luck with your sale Sir. I hope you get what you want with lots of blue sky also.

Last edited:

LN2

Stealth Member
Reaction score
There are a few other things waiting to be installed. Working full time does not let me get everything finished as quickly as I'd like. A new door seal, a new door window and a bunch of plastic trim work that needs to be timed up and installed. There have been lots and lots of things done that are just part of routine maintenance. New alternator belt, new battery and so on. Just wanted to add that stuff as I just to hit the major stuff.. Uses a quart or less of 15-50 every 20-25 hours. All log books since new. NDH. Heck the more I write the more I remember that this is why I have the little gem.

Unit74

Reaction score
Certainly well equipped, but " I know what it's worth" and what someone will pay are usually too far apart.

Sounds like you have pride of ownership. Just be aware that what you have in it, you will be fortunate to get back 50 cents on the dollar.

I recently sold an extremely well optioned Archer II. I knew what it was worth, and I ended up loosing $10k on the plane in upgrades in two years. Stupid me for spending the money, but it is what it is. New owner loves the plane too.

Good luck on selling, if you actually list it. But again, I caution you on pricing. Your selling an over equipped 140 and your price will be bounced off the rest of them. Many buyers would rather step up to a 180 or Archer for the same money than pay top dollar for a 140.

LN2

Stealth Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think that 30k is out of line. Or, 32.5k with new ADS-B out installed. If those prices could get a 180 Or and Archer it would have to be run out or need major work. If those numbers are to high then I will be flying my little 140 until I quit flying. I don't really think what would be the selling price are that out of range. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you. I hope everyone enjoys the blue skies.

skywag

BE300 CE500 DA-50 LR-JET
Reaction score
Looks like a great airplane.

You will know exactly when you post the 140 on eBay without reserve.

rrc1962

Reaction score
Looks like a great airplane.

You will know exactly when you post the 140 on eBay without reserve.
Or just look at what has sold. One thing to consider is that the paint job isn't going to appeal to everyone. That's the risk you take with custom paint on anything. A smaller pool of buyers usually means a lower selling price.

Latest posts