• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Takeoff technique (relating to use of flaps)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
The POH for my '73 challenger describes normal takeoff procedure with no flaps and short or soft field with two notches- 25 degree flaps. I've noticed the way the plane really loves to get off the ground with two notches of flaps. I like the way it leaves the ground much better this way.

I was just wondering, is there a downside to always using 25 degrees of flaps for a takeoff? It gives you the best obstacle clearance since it's the short field procedure. I would retract flaps as per usual incrementally after clearing obstacles and getting stabilized In a climb. I've been doing it at shorter fields or when close to mgw or at high DA.

The downsides I can think of are:

1) increased workload during critical phase of flight
2) reduced effectiveness of ailerons for crosswind takeoffs????

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back