• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Surefly install issue with MVP50P reading Tach signal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arzenmaster

Cherokee owner since 1983
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a surefly mag with an MVP50P? Did your installer experience any issues?

I just completed my install yesterday and am having issues getting the MVP50 to read the tach signal from the Surefly on a PA-28 14v system.

What I've done so far. Called ECI for help! They where Johnny on the spot, outstanding customer service. They suggested some trouble shooting to verify the ECP is functioning and not damaged. That scared the hell out of me, thinking it might be possible that I clipped the wrong res out of the system and fried the ECP. Wheh! I didnt go cross eyed, and grab the wrong lead. It checks out ok. ie. swapped the PLeads from left to right and checked that both channels in the ECP read the slick mag. It was too late for me to call Surefly for tech support.

The issue as far as I can deduce is:

1. Th ECI provided capacitor that is swapped out with the 79 kohm resistor is a VI-2uF might not be correct, or not functional? Surefly suggests a VI-.1uF. I didn't have a capicitance tester handy to check if the cap was bad. I did check it with an OHM meter and it bleed down to zero as expected. I don't know enough, to be certain that a 2uF would be too much filtering?

2. The 60 volt signal put out by the Surefly to the P-Lead is incorrect or missing? I didn't have the wherewithall to rig up a test lead and run the engine again while I was at the hangar. I also wouldn't be able to read anything close to a pulse signal without an oscilloscope.

79 res.jpg

79 res removed from Left plead 33rpm output from ignition to MVP

2uf.jpg

2uf visible in series on left ignition p lead terminal to MVP50., after cutting tywraps.

BTW, no ignition stumble on mag switching regardless of how fast you switch from left right, right left to both. I couldn't even induce a stumble intentionally.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back