• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Sudden Issue with Aircraft Banking Right

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So on a flight this Saturday on the takeoff roll, I noticed some shimmy on the nose wheel even though the Lord shimmy dampener was installed new at annual in January. Upon leveling off and engaging the auto pilot and altitude hold I noticed the ball was left of center. No problem and although I do not normally need to mess with rudder trim, I stepped on the ball to center in and then started dialing in rudder trim to relieve the left rudder pedal pressure I was applying. Turned rudder trim all the way but I still needed a substantial about of left rudder pressure to stay coordinated. Shut the auto pilot off and did some testing but anytime I let go of the yoke, the plane started banking right. It took a good amount of rudder to stop the bank. So flew the flight with auto pilot back on and substantial left rudder to keep coordinated. I have never had any issue like this before.

Mechanic was able to look at it today and found that the steering horn was broken. All rigging and rudder controls looked good but when they put it on jacks, they found a substantial amount of play in the nose wheel. The nose wheel play allowed the nose wheel and of course the wheel pant to turn right and it would not stay centered. This was due to the broken steering horn.

While they indicate they can not be certain, they believe that in flight the broken steering horn allows the nose wheel to pivot to the right and basically turns the wheel pant into a small rudder causing the plane to bank right. They are going to replace the steering horn and then have me test flight it to see if that solves the issue.

Of course piper stays a new steering horn is $1000 and it will take 6 months to produce. Shop found a serviceable used steering horn from a salvage company in Texas so that has been purchased and should arrive on Wednesday. I have a long trip scheduled for Saturday so will so a test flight as soon as they have it installed to see if that solves the problem.

Just hoping to use the experience on this board to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. For those with experience, does it sound reasonable that the wheel pant could act as a small rudder and turn the plane? Just hoping this indeed will solve the problem. Pictures attached if it i helps.
IMG_2374.JPG

Latest posts

Back