• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Stock Cowl is fat! (40 lbs overweight)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judoka5051

Reaction score
Good day All,

A little history first will make sense of the rest of this post. I'm primarily a 'homebuilt' flyer. I've built several planes ranging from a 2 holer biplane to a couple of RV's. Now, I'm a relatively new Cherokee owner, and I find (somewhat to my surprise) that I really like the plane. I never enjoyed flying the Cessna's. I'm mid build on my current RV project and needed a plane to travel in, thus the Cherokee 180. The plane performs well, but could be faster and a LOT lighter. I recently pulled the cowl to replace the heat shield and was stunned at how heavy it is. I don't remember the exact weight, but I compared it to the RV cowl and found that it is 40 lbs heavier. There's no reason for that! The RV canopy is plenty sturdy, and routinely sees 200 mph. What's to stop me from pulling a plug off the stock cowl and making a new cowl using the same process as the RV?
Any legal reason not to do it? I can tell you that there's not only a lot of weight, but a lot of lost speed there, but that's a whole other issue.

Latest posts

Back