• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Stec 30 and Garmin 530 ILS tracking off course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Piper 180 with a 530 (non WAAS) and an STEC 30. I'll try my best to explain how I think this is wired up.... (This is how it was when we bought the plane)

The autopilot only tracks any sort of navigation in heading mode, when turned on it will follow the heading bug on the course indicator, when I press the "GPS" button on my panel (totally separate from the STEC and Garmin), the autopilot will then follow GPS guidance. It will track turns, etc. It also will fly a GPS approach flawlessly.

BUT, if I leave autopilot on, and try flying an ILS approach it will not keep the needle centered. It wants to fly parallel of the course to the right about a 1/2-1 mile, outside the donut but not fully deviated.

I was always under the assumption that when the Garmin was showing "VLOC" it was using the CDI needle to fly the approach, it seems as if maybe it still uses GPS location the fly the approach even in VLOC mode? It's just weird it wouldn't be right of course any other time.

The high and lo track do not track anything that we've figured out in any combination. If it is going off GPS location only even in VLOC mode, I don't know why they didn't wire the high/lo to nav #2 that way VOR and ILS/LOC would be flown that way.

I guess to answer my question, does it try to fly an ILS using GPS location, if so how can I get this to track the actual approach? I haven't actually tried to use it on an ILS approach since last year and it flew it flawlessly. Tried yesterday a couple of times and it was off course. Any insights?

Latest posts

Back