• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Starts after release starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajs

Reaction score
I have an ignition switch that is Off, Right, Left, Both, Start. When attempting a start, it seems that the plane only starts to "cough" or attempt to start when the switch is released or turned from "start" to "both", and the starter is disengaged. When in "start" and cranking the plane doesn't seem to attempt to start, but once released, it attempts to start, or does start right up.

Plane recently came out of maintenance, so I'm suspicious. Recent overhaul of D3000 magneto, and all new tempest spark plugs. Mag check before flight is normal on both Left and Right mag. Battery was on a tender, and re-installed before each of the last flights.

Two of the last three starts I've noticed unusual starting characteristic. I need more experiments to figure out if it is repeatable. Of course, the first start after maintenance was normal.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back