• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Starting the journey in the Pacific Northwest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been lurking for awhile, but decided I couldn't resist joining any longer. I've been an aviation fan my whole life, and now that I'm hitting mid-life, I figure its time to do something about it. I am just starting working toward my PPL along with my daughter and we are both so excited for the journey and the time spent together talking, learning, and planning. I work in patent law and have always dreamed of getting my PPL, and my wife and kids finally pushed me in the right direction. Also having a few kids out of the house now frees up a little bit of income to pursue some of the other enjoyable things life has to offer.

I've decided that I hate the idea of shelling out $20-$30k in plane rental fees for both my daughter and me to get our PPLs, so I'd like to buy at the outset and I think a Cherokee 180 would fit the bill perfectly as a trainer, IFR platform, and time builder. We'll see how fast prices keep rising on some of the older birds, maybe renting will become the better way to go.

I feel like I'm at the stage of knowledge where I am drinking from the fire hose and everytime I get online I learn so much and, at the same time, realize how little I know. I greatly appreciate those of you who are willing to share your opinions, advice, and experience, and I expect the more I browse this forum the more I'll realize that I really don't know anything yet.

Latest posts

Back