• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Starter MZ 4204 Tomahawk

BRYAN COBB

Daddy Teaching Daughter
Reaction score
I guess I need a starter. The day I installed the tailBeacon I had the master on a long time. Battery was weak. I jumped it and went flying. The starter must have remained engaged and not made a noise because now 12VDC direct to starter will not spin it.

If anyone removed one for a lighter Sky-Tec or similar, I need your old 12V Prestolite ERZ-8012 or 122-NL.

How much?

Tweety

Reaction score
Before you give up on your old Prestolite, you might consider removing it and taking it to an auto electrical repair shop (if there's one close by) or to an auto parts store that tests components. You may just have a stuck solenoid that's keeping the heavy-duty contacts at the back of it from engaging. Frequently if the engine cranks but doesn't fire the pinion gear stays engaged in the ring gear in such a way that the solenoid is only partially engaged. If the pinion remained engaged while the engine ran you'd know it. It makes a terrific howling noise.

BRYAN COBB

Daddy Teaching Daughter
Reaction score
Before you give up on your old Prestolite, you might consider removing it and taking it to an auto electrical repair shop (if there's one close by) or to an auto parts store that tests components. You may just have a stuck solenoid that's keeping the heavy-duty contacts at the back of it from engaging. Frequently if the engine cranks but doesn't fire the pinion gear stays engaged in the ring gear in such a way that the solenoid is only partially engaged. If the pinion remained engaged while the engine ran you'd know it. It makes a terrific howling noise.
Thank you for that. I was on the same mindset as you but old fellow that did that business has passed away and the two younger guys recognized it as "airplane starter" and wouldn't touch it. I just sent it to T&W Electrical for rebuild with cert's.