• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Stabilator Tip Damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stran

Reaction score
Found damage to the stabilator tip while preflighting last night. Not sure what the mechanism of injury was. Looks like two parallel straps about 2 inch wide and 6 inches apart hit the tail really hard. No scratches at the point of impact, just blunt force damage and disturbance of surface dust, so I think it was something soft. Plane is tied down at KBFI in Seattle. I can't figure out what this might be. Ladders are hard, would cause scratch. Fuel hose from a truck wouldn't leave parallel tracks. Hasn't been any heavy winds so unlikely to be blown object.

There's fiberglass damage to the tip. Slight dent of the top aluminum surface of stabilator. The tips come in either ABS plastic or fiberglass. From the forum thread on wingtips, it sounds like fiberglass is preferred since it's more durable and easily repaired. New tips do not come drilled with mounting holes. Thinking about buying a used tip mostly to save on labor of drilling, and a bit on the cost of the tip itself, but concerned about the holes not lining up. What are people's thoughts?

I can take some better pictures during daylight hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG