• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Speed Mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperowner

Reaction score
Like many of you, I am always looking for ways to improve performance. After installing all the speed modifications and removing drag items, like antennas etc. I was left with one item to consider, the cowl.
I notice that on many PA-28’s there is a gap between the top of the spinner back plate and the cowl (looks like engine sag). It seems to be quite large and varies between aircraft. My first thought was bad motor mounts. I replaced mine and it made a small difference but there was still a large gap of ¾ to 1 inch. I discussed it with my IA and he and I concluded that Piper did not trim the cowls to fit properly. I do not have a before picture but attached is an afterwards picture. The pro’s are; I think it looks better and makes it easier to see over the front, the cowl openings now match up better with the engine at the front. I think there may be a few other minor repairs that could be done while you are working on the cowl that may decrease drag. I have full instrumentation and did not notice any CHT or EGT changes afterwards. Cons; it is a little harder to remove the top half of the cowl by yourself.

[attachment=0:2rps8dev]IMG00017-20111120-1532.jpg[/attachment:2rps8dev]

Attachments

• IMG00017-20111120-1532.jpg
    IMG00017-20111120-1532.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 586

Latest posts

Back