• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Sparkplug came out during flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

So I just had my first emergency. 10 mins after departure I heard a bang and the engine lost some but not all power. Airspeed started dropping so I declared an emergency and turned back towards the airport.

I was able to maintain altitude and 95 knots airspeed. Landed without problem and the line man did say it sounded bad.

It turned out that one of the spark plugs had left the cylinder. The spark plug was still at the top of the engine.

The plane had an annual less than 1 flying hour earlier. Have anybody else experienced such a thing? Is it possible for a spark plug to come out by itself or is this an indication that the mechanic didn’t tighten it correctly?
F6C0EC0D-779A-4F31-8F3A-9AA2F1BFEF95.jpeg

Btw - the spark plug thread looks intact and I could screw it in afterwards.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back