• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

SLICK MAG SERVICE BULLETIN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguydon

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting
Reaction score
So, not only is there the Champion SB1-15A but now Piper also released SB 1284B over the distributor gear. There have been a few posts about that already.

~THIS IS 4 CYLINDER MAGS ONLY~

I just need to vent as I have lost a good sum of money on these things. Champion is not supplying a replacement part for free unless the "bad" one is theirs. Unison made plenty of bad ones too. Same junk gear. K-3008 and M-3008 over the years. Same failure. Same junk. Same issue. They only replace theirs which is a K-3008 and ALSO has the number 510406 on the opposing side of the gear.

I got a bunch of the replacement gears and was putting them in any affected mag with the "bad" part for free along with the regular 500 hour service. DAMN. Out of 25 that I have done so far, only 4 were the ones with 510406 on it. These things are $102 each so that was an expensive lessen.

On a side note. The gears that do not have the 510406 should be replaced too. They are as bad as the ones Champion made...came off the same line if you know what I mean.

No real way to know without pulling it apart. All I have to say is this is a flim flam half assed SB if I ever saw one and now that every Piper owner is getting the newer released SB-1284B which is actually a rehash of the Champion one...all Hell will break loose.

To all... the old gears are and have been a weak link in the mag. If they are inspected and serviced every 500 hours you are not likely to ever have an issue with them. If you run to fail, there is a good chance that will be what fails... The new gears may be better, but should be inspected too. There is no sky is falling need to take a recently serviced mag and tear it back apart to do anything. Just go till the next 500 hour service and do it then.

Latest posts

Back