• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

SL30 & SL60 are too hot to touch... Any avionics experts???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptTH

Reaction score
My new to me plane came with an Apollo/Morrow II/ Garmin (too many names, right?) SL center stack.
SL10 / SL30 / SL60 specifically.
During my flights when I want to adjust the volume level of the SL30 and SL60 I noticed the power ON / OFF / VOLUME button on both units' left side on the panel feels really hot to touch.
Rest of the both units feels ok with no noticeable heat at anywhere on the panel or on any other knob or push buttons.
Only their power on off buttons on the left.
I've tried to research on the net and came few other owners complaining the same issue but all those posts were from 2012 or older and didn't mention how they solve their issues or even if they did.

Only one of the guy mentioned that after installing a brand new SL30 prior to 2012 he noticed the same heat issue on the same power knob and when he contacted the Garmin he was told "Not to worry, it is expected".

My question is, do we have anybody here with any experience of owning either an SL30 / SL60 in the past or currently and if those of you have similar experiences with the power on/off knob getting noticeably too hot to touch.

I'll try to find a way to measure the temp difference between those knobs and the rest of the both units but this is just to satisfy my curiosity...

Also if you personally did not own one of those units but fixed few came across your bench would you please let me know how Garmin or Morrow guys designed these units and expected them to get cool?
I don't think they have a built in fan in these skinny fellows. They stack on top of each other tightly without hardly any airflow between them.

I wonder if I try to direct some aftermarket solution to get airflow behind the panel where the radio stack would be any help?
If so what's the best method to do that?
Thanks guys,

Latest posts

Back