• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Single-pilot IFR CRM with a tablet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
I'm looking for stories and advice about single-pilot IFR CRM with a tablet.

I ordered a larger Android tablet (a 10" ASUS) a while back, and yesterday, I decided to try it out in the plane and figure out whether to mount it or hold it on my lap together with my kneeboard.

It works perfectly with my GTX 345 ADS-B transponder and my GDL 51 portable SiriusXM receiver, but I don't like it. As Dr Seuss might have written

I do not want it on my knee.
I do not want it on the yoke in front of me.
The panel is no place for it.
Sticking it anywhere makes my plane look like sh*t.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I'd love to hear from others who simply don't feel the need to have a big screen open all the time. How do you arrange things? I'm happy to pull a tablet (preferably a smaller, 7" one) out of the side pocket or off an empty seat beside me from time to time to check the weather ahead, examine airspace/other chart items, or open an approach plate, but I know now that I don't want it mounted somewhere I see it all the time, even if I can make space.

My in-panel GTN 650 navigator already shows airways, airspace, terrain and ADS-B traffic (as well as ADS-B weather when I'm in the US), so the only gap really is approach plates and weather. I'm almost tempted to mount a GDL 69 under the panel after all, so that I can get SiriusXM weather on the GTN 650, but that costs $$$

Thanks, David

Latest posts

Back