• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Shutting Engine down using ignition switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK in 45 years of flying and instructing I have always shut the engine or engines down by selecting the mixture to idle cut off.

I appreciate it is best to deprive the cylinders of fuel.

However when you have a hot engine and stop at the pumps in a plane like a Piper Archer it can be really hard to start it again. Without priming it the prop turns, it fires once but does not catch. Then it is hard to get the prime right and often involves a lot of cranking.

So only in the case where you stop the engine for a few minutes such as when changing a passenger or refuelling, is there a good reason why you should not stop the engine by turning off the ignition? So when you come to start the engine again it has the right amount of fuel in the cylinders to fire right up and start more easily. I have never tried it, just theorising.

Latest posts

Back