• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Short field takeoff & flaps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robman1

RM
Reaction score
My 20 year old CFI-I son had a DPE fail one of his best young students because he used 10 degrees of flaps for a shot field takeoff, in a 1965 Cessna 172 G. Due to my son's age, this has seemed to really bother him because he taught the young man (senior in HS) to perform the take off that way, as well as, all the other students he's trained and they had passed in other aircraft. The DPE wrote it on his slip and it was the ONLY reason. Now he has to perform this one item to pass and of course pay some more.

A bit distraught, mainly because it's his first to fail the practical (but he only has trained 11 so they'll be more), my son called the DPE later in the day after researching the matter online and via POHs, and asking all of the other instructors he knows about the flaps. The DPE said it was because the Cessna 172 was built before 1970. It is a 172 G model. Has any DPE here or anyone else ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.

We're Piper owners so I hope it's okay to ask this question about a Cessna 172 in a Piper forum.

Latest posts

Back