• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Servicing Scott Heel Brakes on a Super Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
I'm working on a 1953 Super Cub with Wipaire floats and need to replace the brake pads. The slave cylinders are Cleveland single puck style, and the heel brakes are operated by Scott type master cylinders (without reservoirs). When I compress the puck with a C-clamp, the puck doesn't compress all the way in, like pressure is trapped in the system, and as such the pads drag when installed and torqued to spec. Its like the system doesn't have a way for the 'excess' fluid to go back into the reservoir when the puck is compressed.

I opened the bleed screw on one side and compressed the puck, allowing some 'excess' fluid to escape, and that side no longer drags, but I'm not convinced this is the correct process.

Anyone have any experience with these old style systems?

Thanks for the help.

sk

Latest posts

Back