• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Service those Merlyn UDPCs (automatic wastegate controllers)!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my engine is away and in-pieces, due to an unexpected camshaft issue. I’d planned to have my Merlyn wastegate serviced even before this, given the issues discussed in another thread (touchy throttle, wandering MP on a Turbo Arrow).

Fast-forward...yes, my Merlyn had seen better days and was in dire need of some factory love. Rusty spring, damaged diaphragm, worn guides, and a few other issues. It hadn’t seen the factory since it was deployed to the field in 1997, and had likely long-since given up working properly.

The rebuild will not be cheap, but is still less than buying a new kit with STC altogether. I also opted for new hoses (all the others are being R&R’d as well).

If you have a Merlyn UDPC, -check how long it’s been since it’s been serviced!!!- Suzanne is very knowledgeable and will give you the rundown on what your unit needs. They can check your unit’s SN and see if it’s ever had factory service (and nobody else works on these).

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 509-838-7500

1613964746036.jpeg

1613964834951.jpeg

1613964889146.jpeg

Latest posts

Back