• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Serious Pre flight reminder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never, ever cut corners on your preflight or get perfuctory about it. Look at everything as if it was the first time. And ALWAYS lower those flaps and check the linkage.

I'm posting this to maybe save a life someday. Here is what was found during a preflight on our Cherokee 180. My son is starting his training and they caught this on his first walk around. Now mind you, the evening before, another son had gone on a XC with the same CFI (also a professional pilot) who I know is thorough in his prefight. This happened during that flight the previous day. What you see is the linkage bolt backed out and only held by the wedge against the unthreaded side. Had this slipped out all the way.......well.......not good. You can not see the end of the bolt be ause of the lip on the flap. And wiggling the flap won't tell you if it is backing out. ALWAYS lower the flaps all the way and put your finger on the end of the bolt as you wiggle the flap to ensure it is tight. ALWAYS!

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 262

Latest posts

Back