• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

SCAT to muffler with PFS on Cherokee 140

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEBTC

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am confused about the two holes in the baffles on the back side of the engine in my Cherokee 140 (see the attached picture). On my plane the hole on the copilot side has a SCAT hose connected that goes to the muffler from where carb heat and cabin heat are served. The hole on the pilot side is just open.
The Piper Parts Catalog, the Service Manual and also the installation instructions from Powerflow are not very clear on that one. In either of these documents it is described that one hole serves the SCAT hose to the muffler.

Question: What is the other hole supposed to do? Can I just plug it (from its backside to leave the magneto cooling tube unobstructed) to improve cooling efficiency of the baffling? Am I missing something? What is the best way to plug it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211030_202755.jpg
    20211030_202755.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back