• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Saratoga Operating Costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Ive read some of the previous threads here as well as going some google searches but I would love to hear what the latest info any Saratoga (or Lance since they are pretty much the same) owners would be wiling to share regarding the below since numbers will change as inflation etc.. I am seriously considering just going this route since they will never have been used for training and it gives me a plane I can use even if the family expands. Still split on turbo vs not and its prob going to come down to cost TBH. I budget everything and while we can probably afford a turbo in the long run we dont want to end up with something we hesitate to fly due to costs.

Engine overhaul - Ive seen everything from 40k to 100k for a NA one. Turbo I keep hearing is "super expensive" to OH and won't ever make TBO (I find that suspicious tbh). My biggest fear is the turbo, or even NA one, will be insanely expensive compared to an Arrow.
Fuel - seen anywhere from 14GPH to 20GPH. My flying will mostly be cross countries at or below 5k. There may be an occasional trip to Texas or Aspen, Co so the wife can ski. Will be rare.
General MX - about the same as the Arrow is what Ive heard since its really mostly a longer version with a bigger engine.
Insurance - varies highly but I got a quote for 2k/yr with no time in a Saratoga. Seemed reasonable @110k hull value.

Am I missing anything? I have over 10 years of data on operating and Arrow so I know those costs cold - the Saratoga is a new world for me. Really appreciate everyones input and patience with meetups while I look for the right plane for my family during these crazy times :)

Latest posts

Back