• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Sandel 3308 in 2020?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N2897M

Reaction score
Planning an IFR panel upgrade and taking a look at the glass offerings as I decide what to do. Under consideration are the current options from Aspen and Garmin, but my search yielded a long-forgotten option in the Sandel 3308. I have a few hours behind the Sandel EHSI acquired years ago, and I still remember being very impressed with the size and clarity of the display. Even by today's standards it seems not to have aged, and the build-quality and interface options are very good.

Yes, it has a couple of drawbacks as do all units, the worse for me being the limited field of view and bulb (though the latter may have been improved). Software v 2.3 is necessary for complete LPV displays (though there is a work-around for previous versions). But the positives are overwhelming.

1/ Absolutely awesome display in a very well thought out design
2/ Great compatibility
3/ Very affordable (under $2000 for the unit itself, plus slaving hardware) and relatively easy to find
4/ Good build quality and reliability

The 3500 is a wonderful current product but cost prohibitive.

So for those of you with the 3308 what are your thoughts? How has Sandel's support been? Any major issues with the unit?

Also, for the avionics guys, is the install any more labor-intensive than the newer products?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back