• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Right Magneto won't run engine until engine warms up- Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron62

Reaction score
On my 85 Archer the right magneto won't run the engine until the engine is warmed up. After the engine is warmed up (3-5 mins) the right magneto slowly comes to life and starts running on all cylinders as normal. When running on the left magneto it runs perfectly when warming up so this not a sticking valve. The magnetos were inspected 200 hours ago and have 700 hours TT on them. It is not fouled plugs because this occurs with old and new plugs, plus I can see on the engine monitor that this impacts all cylinders. I removed the right magneto P-lead and the issue remains proving there is no issue with the key switch or P-lead wire. My mechanic will inspect the magneto next week.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before? Could it be the magneto capacitor or coil?

Any suggestions to help resolve would be appreciated. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back