• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Returning to Flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I joined the forum in the summer while looking for a new plane. I started flying in 2000 and added a instrument rating in 2003. in 2004 I purchased a share in a Cirrus SR 22 (I loved that plane!!). I got out of the partnership in 2012 to fund a startup company. Over the last 6 years I hated not flying but just didn't have the time.

In my day job I am an anesthesiologist. I run a small medical products company and in my free time do medical mission work in 3rd world and developing countries. I'm a serial inventor and the proud father to two recent college graduates. NO MORE COLLEGE TUITION!!!

But I am now making time. I recently purchased a 1979 Piper Archer II. It was in good shape but needed a few things updated. As you can see by the pics, it is getting a new engine, new avionics and a complete once over. By that I mean anything that moves, rotates, flips, turns, locks, opens, is visible, not visible, or is attached to the aircraft is being examined, cleaned, repaired, replaced, fixed, washed, waxed, massaged or given a stern talking to!!

It will be about two months before everything is complete. I'll try to update the pics and info about the process. I'm really looking forward to being able to dive to the airport, avoid TSA and the strip searches, get into my plane and launch into a new daily adventure.

Rick Bowen, MD, PhD

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Latest posts

Back