• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Retract vs. Fixed Gear for First Plane Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got my ppl checkride in 11 days and it has been a long journey to get here. My mission is flying a family of five around the southeast initially and then exploring everywhere! I've shopped planes for about two years and landed on the PA-32. I've got initial insurance quotes for fixed gear around $3k. I guess that is to be expected since I don't have time in make/model. At what point do you jump into retract and is it wise to avoid for the first plane purchase? My thought is that you have to get experience in retract at some point and just deal with extremely high insurance in the meantime. I'm still shopping so please let me know if you are ready to part with a well maintained PA-32 (~$100K).

Latest posts

Back