• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Require transponders for gliders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd

Reaction score
Just read the article in Flying Magazine regarding the mid air collision between a Hawker Jet and a glider near Reno Nevada. I have particular experience flying in this area and gliders are an issue when they are in the passes leading to Reno, Truckee, Carson City, even Tahoe. If they are going to fly in these airways and at the same altitude as powered aircraft, they should at least carry transponders and even radios so they can get a code from center and be identified. Too many times I get from center advisories telling me numerous targets in your area, but no specifics. At least with a transponder they could be seen by radar and I would know which way to go to avoid them.

Latest posts

Back