• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Replacing Davtron Clock Battery: Mother May I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropFan

Reaction score
The AA alkaline "keep alive" battery in my Davtron M803 clock is apparently dead, as the clock does not retain its setting between flights. I seems like it would be relatively simple to pull the panel cover, pull the clock and replace the battery, but I cannot find specific authorization to do so in the FAR on owner-performed maintenance. The two closest sections seem to be:

(24) Replacing and servicing batteries.

or

(31) Removing and replacing self_contained, front instrument panel_mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray_mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

It seems in (24), they're talking about the main battery, not instrument batteries. And, (31) also seems a bit of a stretch. So, I conclude, no can do.

Am I being a mama's boy, or do I need to pay my mechanic $90/hour to do this?

I do not want to get a spanking over this.

Latest posts

Back