• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

removing the oleo strut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhall

Reaction score
On my 1964 Cherokee 180, It looks like I have a crack in the lower part of my landing gear where the torque links attach to the lower axle. My mechanic will dye test tomorrow just to make sure it is really a crack.

To replace, we'll need to remove the oleo strut.

From what I can tell, the procedure to remove the oleo is ...
1.Jack up the wing with the tail weighted
2. Vent the nitrogen by depressing the pin in the air valve at the top of the gear
3. remove the air valve pin ... I assume this comes out the same way as a tire air valve
4. Drain the fluid through the top (connect a hose to the air valve with the pin removed and pump the gear to get the fluid out)
5. disconnect the torque link and brake line
6. remove the retainer ring
7. pull out the strut from the bottom

I assume the seals and scrapers will come out with the strut.

Is this correct? Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back