• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Redline Sidewinder for 1977 Lance

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has purchased the Redline Sidewinder for a Lance, and if so, which model did you purchase; the .875 ID, or the .937 ID Axle Tube?

Forkauto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may need to measure yours to be sure. My Arrow listed 2 sizes as well and when I spoke with them they stated that piper used 2 different axle sizes on the same model plane so it’s best to measure and be sure

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 different sizes? Interesting, as I was not aware Piper had 2 different sized axle tubes. Thanks for the info.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
2 different sizes? Interesting, as I was not aware Piper had 2 different sized axle tubes. Thanks for the info.
My Lance was different than my Seneca II is...so yeah...two different sizes.

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. I spoke with the owner of Redline Aviation and he shared with me info I wasn’t aware of; It seems when Piper manufactured the Lance’s in the 70’s they used 2 different sized axle tubes. I’ll be measuring mine tonight.

kenaccousti

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Had an issue with my redline tug. The switch on the Milwaukee side would get stuck in the on position. Not a very good thing to happen when backing into a hangar. Fortunately, I keep chocks in my hangar so I don't back her up too far. Disengaged the battery before any damage.

Called Redline and I spoke with the owner. He sent out a new switch. Nice guy. Not used to good customer service like that.

Love my Redline but it did cause a little heartburn the last 2 weeks.

varcoe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what one did you have to order for your 77 lance? I have a 77 also and was thinking of ordering one of these?

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Piper installed two different size, nose gear axle tubes, so to be sure I ordered the correct Sidewinder, I had to measure my airplanes axle tube which measured .875 ID. I placed the order and it’s a perfect. My only recommendation would be to order the extension bar. Although it’s not recommended for the Lance, I’m ordering one as I feel it’ll give me better control and visibility of the tail when backing the plane into the hangar. Other then that, I love this tool!

varcoe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I ordered one the other day.

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 15” extension arrived today. I’m planning on taking it to the airplane tomorrow, attaching it and giving it a go. I’ll let ya know if it was a waste of money, or if it’s what I expected to be a beneficial add-on.