• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Rebuilt Aztec Gear Actuators Now Leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I had two of the three gear actuators rebuilt. (nose gear and right main). They were leaking down the center rods, both of which exhibited pitted chrome. The left one must have been replaced/rebuilt recently; it was pristine and did not leak.

There is a large industrial rechroming facility nearby, and my mechanic and I took the rods in to be rechromed. We were novices at this operation and failed to bring the cap that the rod passes through; the chrome was too thick and I had to return the parts and have them de-chromed (same electroplating process, but in reverse) and built up again. Assembly went well; O-rings all replaced with mil-spec versions.

Now the two that were rebuilt are leaking - again down the rod. At the suggestion of the Aztec's 90-year-old prior owner - also an A&P - I miked the rods to see if they were undersize. They are within 2/1000ths of the left actuator that does NOT leak. I'm looking for any advice. Could the mil-spec O-rings not be correct? Are there special rings for hydraulic cylinders? Pressure is about 800psi max; my Kubota endloader works at about 3000, although the seals are very different. Thoughts, anyone?

Latest posts

Back