• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Rear passenger headset jacks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a Sigtronics SPA-400 4-place intercom, but only the pilot and copilot positions have been wired. I was down under the panel this weekend checking things out, and have a plan for the wiring that needs to be done to extend the system to the back seats (properly supervised, of course).

What I don't have is a good idea of where/how to physically mount the rear jacks in my '73 180. The interior has been re-done, so the rear seat ash trays are long gone; I know that's been one popular place for them to go.

The side walls are not preferred,since I'd have to cut into the nicely re-done covering and I don't trust my ability to do that neatly. That panel also feels pretty flimsy, and I'm not sure how well it would support repetitive plugging/unplugging. Seems like a recipe for eventual problems.

The two primary locations I'm considering are the center hump aft of the trim wheel (as far aft as possible), and the vertical face of the support for the rear seats (i.e., right behind the passengers' calves)...as close to the side walls as possible, of course.

Since the "trim wheel tunnel" piece needs to come out every year at annual, if I mounted there I'd need to include some way to separate the wiring or at least leave the jacks in the plane when the tunnel cover is removed. I think mounting below the rear seats would not require that, so that's where I'm leaning.

If you've got a four-place intercom, Where are the rear headset jacks in your plane? What sort of a plate or bezel do they have?

Latest posts

Back